DePaul PRSSA had the privilege to see Gatorade’s famed “Mission Control” center as one of their agency visits during fall quarter. Run by VML, a private social and digital firm, Mission Control is the central hub to Gatorade’s social and digital content.
Inside the hub, six television screens display news and social media involving Gatorade: Twitter, ESPN, and a social media dashboard are among features.
This unique facility provided great insight into social media trends and the importance of engaging audiences through digital content.
- Analyze competitors’ mentions (traditional and social media)
- Partner with athletes — see who’s doing well, find out what they’re talking about (sports marketing, not VML, handle the contracts)
- Helps prevent crises, even if false (e.g., “there’s mold in my Gatorade”)
- Targeting posts to a specific demographic
- Helps PR by helping them better tailor their message